[SATLUG] Wireless Driver Installation

Andrew Pickens wg5o at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jul 11 17:36:58 CDT 2008

  On 27 June Andy Pickens wrote:

I'm taking way too much of everyone's time.  I'm going to temporarily
move the modem back here, plug in an Ethernet cable, and update my
Ubuntu.  Then, I'll try again.  I'll report when I've done that.

Many thanks to all of you patient people.

Andy Pickens

So, here is the report.  Some of you who attempted to help me may recall
that I was trying to get WiFi working on Ubuntu 6.06 (Encore ENLWI-G3
PCI card), and we were out of ideas.  So, as proposed, I hooked up an
Ethernet cable and up-graded to Ubuntu 8.04.  That went well, but I was
worse off, because I could never get the system to recognize the card,
i.e. Network Settings doesn't see the card.

I tired to use the down-loaded Linux driver, following the readme
instructions, but I could never get it to compile successfully.  There
were errors and I had no idea what to do.

Ubuntu 8.04 has ndiswrapper built in.  I used it to load the Windows
driver.  That worked slick; said it was installed and hardware was
present.  But it didn't work.

I installed my old Trendnet TWE-423PI card, and loaded its Windows
driver.  That didn't work either.

I give up. I'm going to switch to sewing.

Andy Pickens

"Sometimes the magic works, sometimes it doesn't."