[SATLUG] Linux-compat portable music players

travis+ml-satlug at subspacefield.org travis+ml-satlug at subspacefield.org
Sat Jul 12 16:47:34 CDT 2008

So my Ipod shuffle died recently (battery won't hold charge), and I
was looking for players that would play OGG and/or FLAC. (FLAC is
just another encoding in OGG containers or so I've heard)

I have been happy with Zen Stone since it'll act just like a thumb
drive and I can put music on with "cp".

I bought a Samsung YP-something and it had a mini-CD with it that
mimicked iTunes.  However, it did NOT show up as a regular USB drive
so I had to return it.

Here's a list of players that do support OGG:
http://wiki.xiph.org/index.php/PortablePlayers

Now, my question is which support Linux by acting like a thumb drive.
If I could get FM tuner and voice recording that'd be sweet too but I
think that may be optimistic...

Reminder: If you're into python and security, you can take over my
dynamic firewall daemon Linux/iptables project (TBK)...

http://www.subspacefield.org/~travis/dfd/

See also:

http://www.subspacefield.org/~travis/good_ideas.txt

--
Crypto ergo sum.  https://www.subspacefield.org/~travis/
Truth does not fear scrutiny or competition, only lies do.