[SATLUG] Linux-compat portable music players

Borries Demeler demeler at biochem.uthscsa.edu
Sat Jul 12 18:29:15 CDT 2008

I bought my daughter a Samsung T10 last Xmas (I had no choice - she
insisted on this model since all her friends had it). It is a really nice
player with 4GB memory and was quite affordable (about $90).  It does
movies, jepg, mpeg4, photos, mp3, ogg, wav and wav with DRM, has an FM
player and voice & FM recording. I was also impressed with the screen -
it beats the screen from the 40 GB trax I have hands down.  The software
that came with it only worked with Windows, and it wouldn't mount like a
scsi drive, but it does bluetooth. But after a little googling I found
a package called Gnomad Ipod and it handles everything great over the
high-speed USB. After I found this, I must say this is a good choice
for Linux. Battery lasts for about 30 hrs on mp3, 4 hours for video. The
only downside I found was the touchpad, it looks too sleek and doesn't
seem terribly responsive, sometimes you have to push twice. I'd give it
9 out of 10 stars.

-b.