[SATLUG] Linux-compat portable music players

Sean I siffland at nerdshack.com
Sun Jul 13 09:38:57 CDT 2008

On 7/12/08, travis+ml-satlug at subspacefield.org
<travis+ml-satlug at subspacefield.org> wrote:
> So my Ipod shuffle died recently (battery won't hold charge), and I
>  was looking for players that would play OGG and/or FLAC. (FLAC is
>  just another encoding in OGG containers or so I've heard)
>  I have been happy with Zen Stone since it'll act just like a thumb
>  drive and I can put music on with "cp".
>  I bought a Samsung YP-something and it had a mini-CD with it that
>  mimicked iTunes.  However, it did NOT show up as a regular USB drive
>  so I had to return it.
>  Here's a list of players that do support OGG:
>  http://wiki.xiph.org/index.php/PortablePlayers
>  Now, my question is which support Linux by acting like a thumb drive.
>  If I could get FM tuner and voice recording that'd be sweet too but I
>  think that may be optimistic...
>  Reminder: If you're into python and security, you can take over my
>  dynamic firewall daemon Linux/iptables project (TBK)...
>  http://www.subspacefield.org/~travis/dfd/
>  See also:
>  http://www.subspacefield.org/~travis/good_ideas.txt
>  --

Which YP do you have?  I got the YP-T9 and flashed it with the Korean
firmware update from Samsung and now it plays oggs and can be seen as
a mass storage device (and it is an official firmware update from
samsung, just not on the US site).  Check out you player at

Good information on most mp3 players (except ipods). If you happen to
have a T9 check out this page.

I really do like my samsung mp3 player, i just wish they could
incorporate that kind of mp3 functionality in a phone.