[SATLUG] Linux-compat portable music players

Sean I siffland at nerdshack.com
Sun Jul 13 09:38:57 CDT 2008

On 7/12/08, travis+ml-satlug at subspacefield.org
<travis+ml-satlug at subspacefield.org> wrote:
> So my Ipod shuffle died recently (battery won't hold charge), and I
>  was looking for players that would play OGG and/or FLAC. (FLAC is
>  just another encoding in OGG containers or so I've heard)
>
>  I have been happy with Zen Stone since it'll act just like a thumb
>  drive and I can put music on with "cp".
>
>  I bought a Samsung YP-something and it had a mini-CD with it that
>  mimicked iTunes.  However, it did NOT show up as a regular USB drive
>  so I had to return it.
>
>  Here's a list of players that do support OGG:
>  http://wiki.xiph.org/index.php/PortablePlayers
>
>  Now, my question is which support Linux by acting like a thumb drive.
>  If I could get FM tuner and voice recording that'd be sweet too but I
>  think that may be optimistic...
>
>  Reminder: If you're into python and security, you can take over my
>  dynamic firewall daemon Linux/iptables project (TBK)...
>
>  http://www.subspacefield.org/~travis/dfd/
>
>  See also:
>
>  http://www.subspacefield.org/~travis/good_ideas.txt
>
>  --

Which YP do you have?  I got the YP-T9 and flashed it with the Korean
firmware update from Samsung and now it plays oggs and can be seen as
a mass storage device (and it is an official firmware update from
samsung, just not on the US site).  Check out you player at

http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/

Good information on most mp3 players (except ipods). If you happen to
have a T9 check out this page.

http://www.tty1.net/blog/2007-04-06-samsung-yp-t9_en.html

I really do like my samsung mp3 player, i just wish they could
incorporate that kind of mp3 functionality in a phone.

Sean