[SATLUG] Using U3 Flash Drives on Linux

zylone zylone31337 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 13 20:20:27 CDT 2008

ed wrote:
> Tweeks wrote:
>>  Hey..
>>
>>  Anyone every have any pro/cons to report w/using U3 enabled flash
> drives on
>>  Linux? I recently plugged a couple in and was a bit upset to see
> read-only
>>  hidden ISO partitions mounted with a bunch of windows cruft on
>> there.. so
>>  much so that wiped the drives and repartitioned/formatted, etc.
>>
>>  Has anyone actually had any useful reports or points of interest with
> regards
>>  to these U3 drives? Should non-windows folks stay away from them? I'm
>>  seeing some nice thumb drive hardware come out.. ex:
>>

> http://www.ioffer.com/i/Sandisk-Cruzer-Micro-U3-USB-Pen-Drive-4GB-4-GB-4G-black-23425522
>

>>  but don't know if I should stay away from U3 based devices or not.
>>
>>  Any comments welcome.
>>
>>  Tweeks
> I use a 1GB SanDisk Cruzer across both Windoze and Linux environments
> without issue. Works under Ubuntu, PCLinuxOS and DSL; Win2K, XP and
> Vista. Granted, there's some extra junk in there that Linux doesn't
> really need (I'm not sure U3 is really needed anywhere...), but I
> haven't noticed any problems...
>
> Cheers;
> Ed

I have used two different thumbdrives with U3 on them under ubuntu and
windows. In fact, I removed the U3 software so I could make one a
bootable linux thumbdrive. Here is the link to the uninstall if you wish
to do that.. it makes it just a plain drive with nothing on it..

http://www.u3.com/uninstall/