[SATLUG] mounting in /media on debian/ubuntu

tsuehpsyde tsuehpsyde at gmail.com
Mon Jul 14 08:27:48 CDT 2008

Using labels or UUIDs are also a bit more safe when mounting devices via
/etc/fstab since sometimes, the kernel likes to either change the naming
scheme (/dev/hda to /dev/sda comes to mind as of late), or if you have
multiple /dev/sdX devices and any of them include an add-in card, they will
ennumerate differently on different reboots (always fun). Labels are a safer
bet, and I've started using them. For example, Ubuntu uses UUIDs to mount
things (just a bit more unique than a label). Just don't put two of the same
labels in a system, or things will be not so fun.

Also, I assume the /media mount points are being handled by udev. I'd have
to look into it, but I'm not awake yet.

-Jim