[SATLUG] Wireless Driver Installation

John Pappas j at jvpappas.net
Mon Jul 14 20:07:21 CDT 2008

Don't know if this is OBE or not, but I have put in some feedback/ideas
below.

On Fri, Jul 11, 2008 at 17:36, Andrew Pickens <wg5o at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> So, here is the report.  Some of you who attempted to help me may recall
> that I was trying to get WiFi working on Ubuntu 6.06 (Encore ENLWI-G3 PCI
> card), and we were out of ideas.  So, as proposed, I hooked up an Ethernet
> cable and up-graded to Ubuntu 8.04.  That went well, but I was worse off,
> because I could never get the system to recognize the card, i.e. Network
> Settings doesn't see the card.
>
> I tired to use the down-loaded Linux driver, following the readme
> instructions, but I could never get it to compile successfully.  There were
> errors and I had no idea what to do.

IIRC you need to have the kernel source (and headers?) installed, along with
module-assistant.  AFAIK the kernel-dev package in Ubuntu ships with the
config file present, so m-a (module assistant) can `make prepare` and
whatnot.  Once you have the kernel stuff in line, you can try running the
`make...` for the driver again.  If you could send the errors, it makes it
MUCH easier to troubleshoot over email.

> Ubuntu 8.04 has ndiswrapper built in.  I used it to load the Windows
> driver.  That worked slick; said it was installed and hardware was present.
>  But it didn't work.

"Doesn't/Didn't/Won't Work" are all diagnostically unuseful.  More useful
would be the outputs of:

   1.  The make command outputs for the driver (if you want to go this way
   rather than ndiswrapper)
   2. `ndiswrapper -l` to list the loaded modules for ndiswrapper (if you
   want to go this route rather than compiled driver)
   3. `lspci -knn` to list the PCI devices seen and the modules handling
   each device
   4. `lsmod` to list the loaded modules

 Those will get us much further along.

I installed my old Trendnet TWE-423PI card, and loaded its Windows driver.
>  That didn't work either.

Again, see above discussion.  I did not see it on TrendNet's Linux page (
http://www.trendnet.com/support/linux.htm) so it looks like NDIS wrapper is
required for this one.

> I give up. I'm going to switch to sewing.

<soapbox>
Computers in general are hard, as the people who code/build them are not
perfect, and hence "challenges" are encountered.  Even more difficult is
troubleshooting via email.  Further, vendors that make drivers unavailible
(Binary/Proprietary/OSS, don't care) make Linux harder for some (ie this
occasion).  All of this is further compounded with the complexity and vigor
required to properly request assistance so that others who cannot
see/hear/telepath (verb for "use telepathy?") to garner the
errors/challenges/issues encountered.

In order to continue fostering adoption and general acceptance of Linux,
please understand I am trying to help you help us to help you ;)  I am not
making any attempt to berate/demean/belittle you nor your efforts, but
rather guide the collection collection of information that will start us on
your journey to a working install.
</soapbox>

Andy Pickens

"Sometimes the magic works, sometimes it doesn't."

HTH,
jp