[SATLUG] Wireless Driver Installation ( OT: BUT AN OBSERVATION)

HAYES DENNIS mhayes59 at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jul 15 11:07:02 CDT 2008

I have sat on the sides and have seen a lot of help questions asked. I have also seen a lot

  of  help and advice given. This is one of the first times I have seen a person tell somebody

  how to ask a question. I have to say that this can and is a good way to help others know

  what to look for to fix their problem. I know that some others have also tried to help in this

  way but this is the first time I have seen it laid out this way. As a general nubey to linux I

  Know I need all the help I can get. This is just a personal thought, thanks for the space and

  time. Kudos John.

  Dennis

John Pappas <j at jvpappas.net> wrote:
  Don't know if this is OBE or not, but I have put in some feedback/ideas
below.

On Fri, Jul 11, 2008 at 17:36, Andrew Pickens wrote:

> So, here is the report. Some of you who attempted to help me may recall
> that I was trying to get WiFi working on Ubuntu 6.06 (Encore ENLWI-G3 PCI
> card), and we were out of ideas. So, as proposed, I hooked up an Ethernet
> cable and up-graded to Ubuntu 8.04. That went well, but I was worse off,
> because I could never get the system to recognize the card, i.e. Network
> Settings doesn't see the card.
>
> I tired to use the down-loaded Linux driver, following the readme
> instructions, but I could never get it to compile successfully. There were
> errors and I had no idea what to do.

IIRC you need to have the kernel source (and headers?) installed, along with
module-assistant. AFAIK the kernel-dev package in Ubuntu ships with the
config file present, so m-a (module assistant) can `make prepare` and
whatnot. Once you have the kernel stuff in line, you can try running the
`make...` for the driver again. If you could send the errors, it makes it
MUCH easier to troubleshoot over email.

> Ubuntu 8.04 has ndiswrapper built in. I used it to load the Windows
> driver. That worked slick; said it was installed and hardware was present.
> But it didn't work.

"Doesn't/Didn't/Won't Work" are all diagnostically unuseful. More useful
would be the outputs of:

1. The make command outputs for the driver (if you want to go this way
rather than ndiswrapper)
2. `ndiswrapper -l` to list the loaded modules for ndiswrapper (if you
want to go this route rather than compiled driver)
3. `lspci -knn` to list the PCI devices seen and the modules handling
each device
4. `lsmod` to list the loaded modules

Those will get us much further along.

I installed my old Trendnet TWE-423PI card, and loaded its Windows driver.
> That didn't work either.

Again, see above discussion. I did not see it on TrendNet's Linux page (
http://www.trendnet.com/support/linux.htm) so it looks like NDIS wrapper is
required for this one.

> I give up. I'm going to switch to sewing.

Computers in general are hard, as the people who code/build them are not
perfect, and hence "challenges" are encountered. Even more difficult is
troubleshooting via email. Further, vendors that make drivers unavailible
(Binary/Proprietary/OSS, don't care) make Linux harder for some (ie this
occasion). All of this is further compounded with the complexity and vigor
required to properly request assistance so that others who cannot
see/hear/telepath (verb for "use telepathy?") to garner the
errors/challenges/issues encountered.

In order to continue fostering adoption and general acceptance of Linux,
please understand I am trying to help you help us to help you ;) I am not
making any attempt to berate/demean/belittle you nor your efforts, but
rather guide the collection collection of information that will start us on
your journey to a working install.

Andy Pickens

"Sometimes the magic works, sometimes it doesn't."

HTH,
jp