[SATLUG] In case you haven't seen this:

Al Castanoli afcasta at satx.rr.com
Wed Jul 16 14:20:41 CDT 2008

On Wed, 2008-07-16 at 07:52 -0500, ed wrote:

> I acquired my first Ubuntu disk from Amazon for $5.  I didn't have image
> burning capability at the time.  However, there are sources readily
> available, linked to the DistroWatch site, where a disk can be had for
> $0.99, or the cost of shipping it.  Why should Best Buy's offer seem
> special?

> Cheers;
> Ed

I bought every boxed set of Red Hat up to version 9.0 and was glad to
have the manuals - sometimes they came in handy at installfests.  I buy
the boxed sets of openSUSE today, to help support the coders writing
device drivers and such.  When I was justifying my need for the OS at
work, it helped that it came with maintenance, because I couldn't have
used it if it didn't.

I guess the hobbyist doesn't need a maintenance agreement when he can
get his answers from mailing lists and newsgroups or the web, but those
of us who use Linux professionally like to know our distributions inside
and out, and the books that are available help us stay current on
changes to apt-get, rpm, yast, yum, and the other software management
programs in wide use today.

Al Castanoli