[SATLUG] Re: SATLUG Digest, Vol 54, Issue 19

K. Reginald Buckner buckmiester35 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 16 16:34:33 CDT 2008

Benjamin,

As far as Wi-fi is concerned, that is very different than setting up a wired
connection. For one two thing has to happen first
one is the correct driver. But linux is a unix like OS which means device
drivers must have a corresponding kernel module to go with the driver. All
NDIS Wrapper does is take a windows driver and prep it to be used as Linux
device driver. Source Forge has the drivers for the Broadcom wireless driver
for 43xx series. After the drivers/kernel module is in place, you must also
know ( what is SSID of the wireless point in case the roaming doesnt pick it
up you can set it manually), know what type of wireless encryption ( WEP or
WPA) and last you must know what channel it broadcasts on. Most of the time
when the driver/kernel module is in place the rest is automatic. Just in
case it is not you should know these things. Ubuntu has a Wifi troubleshoot
guide and here is the web page:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/WirelessTroubleShootingGuide
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/WiFiTroubleshooting

Reggie Buckner