[SATLUG] recommendation needed: master mode WiFi

FIRESTORM_v1 firestorm.v1 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 16 22:00:16 CDT 2008

On the subject of WiFi cards for Ububtu...
<ducks>

Does anyone have a good recommendation of a hostap compatible or
master-mode compatible USB wifi adapter?

I am running 7.04 Ubuntu Gutsy and so far have been unsuccessful in
locating a prism2 card that I can set in master mode.  This is going
on my Artigo so it's not like "I can just toss one in", hence the
requirement for USB.I have tried several Linksys adapters and an SMC
USB (SMC2652W?).  The SMC card used to work in host mode, back when I
was running RedHat 7.3.

The idea is that I can use the Artigo to proxy the connection from my
Sprint aircard to the USB Wireless NIC, but I want to use encryption
for the local clients.  It's either that or I have to get a wireless
AP and carry it with me and use the builtin ethernet NIC for that.

Any advise, suggestions?

Thanks!
Firestorm_v1