[SATLUG] Re: SATLUG Digest, Vol 54, Issue 19

ed horned0wl93 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 17 12:58:01 CDT 2008

What I'd like to know though, is: Why the giant step backward from
v7.10, where Broadcom wifi "just works?"
Any suggestions on that one?  I'm not one to enjoy re-inventing the
wheel every time there's an update or upgrade...

Cheers;
Ed
=================

K. Reginald Buckner wrote:
>  Benjamin,
>

>  As far as Wi-fi is concerned, that is very different than setting up a
wired
>  connection. For one two thing has to happen first
>  one is the correct driver. But linux is a unix like OS which means device
>  drivers must have a corresponding kernel module to go with the driver. All
>  NDIS Wrapper does is take a windows driver and prep it to be used as Linux
>  device driver. Source Forge has the drivers for the Broadcom wireless
driver
>  for 43xx series. After the drivers/kernel module is in place, you must
also
>  know ( what is SSID of the wireless point in case the roaming doesnt
pick it
>  up you can set it manually), know what type of wireless encryption (
WEP or

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8888563&st=ubuntu&lp=1&type=product&cp=1&id=1211587312374