[SATLUG] Wireless Driver Installation

John Pappas j at jvpappas.net
Thu Jul 17 17:25:21 CDT 2008

On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 16:38, Andrew Pickens <wg5o at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> "IIRC you need to have the kernel source (and headers?) installed, along
> with
> module-assistant.  AFAIK the kernel-dev package in Ubuntu ships with the
> config file present, so m-a (module assistant) can `make prepare` and
> whatnot.  Once you have the kernel stuff in line, ..."
>
> I'm sorry, but my response to this one is, "Duhh..." I have no idea what to
> do about this one.  It is Ubuntu 8.04, kernel 2.6.24-19, and that is all I
> know.

I don't have an ubuntu box running, but I think that if you install via
Synaptic the following packages (You may have to search for keywords as
well):
kernel-devel & module-assistant

Those packages should get the functions you need in order properly compile.

> "1.  The make command outputs for the driver (if you want to go this way
>  rather than ndiswrapper)"
>
> The command I used was: /etc/network/rtl8185_linux_26.1010.0531.2006$
> ./makedrv
>
> The result was pretty long, but it ended like this:
>
> << SNIP >>
> make[2]: ***
> [/etc/network/rtl8185_linux_26.1010.0531.2006/rtl818x-0.1/r8180_core.o]
> Error 1
> make[1]: ***
> [_module_/etc/network/rtl8185_linux_26.1010.0531.2006/rtl818x-0.1] Error 2
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.24-19-generic'
> make: *** [modules] Error 2

You should probably not be working in /etc/network, but rather in a proper
working directory (ie /home/andy/rtl8185_linux_26.1010.0531.2006/)  Anyway,
installing kernel-devel and module-assistant will get us closer to proper
compilation.

> "2. `ndiswrapper -l` to list the loaded modules for ndiswrapper
>
> This is appropriate to my current situation, since I have the Trendnet card
> installed.  I get:
>
> andy at izzy:/etc$ ndiswrapper -l
> mrv8335 : driver installed
>        device (11AB:1FAA) present
> net8185 : driver installed
>
> Where mrv8335 is the Trendnet driver. The result is exactly the same as
> returned by the built-in ndiswrapper (System, Administration, Windows
> Wireless Drivers).

Good.  The GUI should use the underlying CLI commands.  It is easier to
paste CLI output to this list than screen shots, so that is why I asked for
them.

> "3. `lspci -knn` to list the PCI devices seen and the modules handling each
> device"
>
> The listing includes:
>
> 05:06.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. 88w8335
> [Libertas] 802.11b/g Wireless [11ab:1faa] (rev 03)

I assume the module listed for it is correct.  If you trim output working on
the assumption that you know what we need, it is likely that we will miss
something.  It is better to include the FULL output than to risk editing out
a seemingly unimportant detail that could ultimately end up assisting in the
resolution of your problem.

> "4. `lsmod` to list the loaded modules"
> The long list includes:
>
> Module                  Size  Used by
> ndiswrapper           243872  0

See above discussion on selective editing of output, but regardless, we need
some more info.  If things were correct, (AFAIK) the "Used By" listing
should be greater than zero, but we will press on, given that the device ID
on the lspci matches the device ID in ndiswrapper.

Since the device should be registered, we need the following:

   1. `iwconfig` so that we can see if there is a wireless interface
   availible to use
   2. `ifconfig` so that we can see the ethernet interfaces on the system

Let's see where this gets us.

Thanks again for the attention.

When a frustrated person who appears to want to learn posts to this forum,
it is the responsibility for those that can help to do so, otherwise the
value of this forum decreases, and we would not want that.  It is my
pleasure (and duty) to assist where I can.  I agree that the state of linux
WiFi is unsat, but we can probably get this working, especially if it was
working in an earlier setup.

jp
--- END NEW CONTENT ---