[SATLUG] Another Wireless Driver Problem

John Pappas j at jvpappas.net
Thu Jul 17 17:41:51 CDT 2008

On Tue, Jul 15, 2008 at 21:50, Benjamin Temple <temple_benjamin at hotmail.com>
wrote:

> I am ironically also having a problem with my wireless card.

Not ironic.  Linux WiFi is hindered by vendor support and overly evangelical
Linux penguinistas clamoring for OSS drivers.  I, for one, hardly care if
the driver is proprietary or binary, as the device will die after 5 years
anyway, and if the vendor stops supporting it, then I chose the wrong
vendor.  A much more important discussion is the data formats I use to store
my business critical data, but I digress.

> It is an integrated Broadcom BCM94318MPG. I tried NDISwrapper, but that did
> not work.

Define "tried".  See my numerous discussions related to Andrew's problem.
If you are able to send us the appropriate console outputs, then we can
help, otherwise, you will continue to recieve crickets.

Ubuntu does not even detect the card. I'm running Ubuntu 8.04.1, to be
> exact.

So now we have 2 pieces of info (Chipset and OS). As I am not familiar with
the specific device mentioned (nor what it is plugged into), and it would be
unlikey that I would go and search it out in order to assist given the lack
of vigor placed in the asking for help, you will need to please expound on
the following:

   1. What is the system (Laptop/Desktop, device type (usb/pci), other
   physical notables)
   2. What steps you have taken thus far.  Be explicit and verbose, you can
   not be too much of either when asking for help like this.
   3. The other commands that I have asked for during every other wireless
   card configuration discussion in which I have participated
   (lspci/lsusb/lsmod/ndiswrapper -l/filtered dmesg
   output/iwconfig/ifconfig...)

Given those, we may be able to assist.

Thanks!
jp