[SATLUG] recommendation needed: master mode WiFi

John Pappas j at jvpappas.net
Thu Jul 17 18:10:20 CDT 2008

On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 22:00, FIRESTORM_v1 <firestorm.v1 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On the subject of WiFi cards for Ububtu...
> <ducks>

I understand the sentiment.  I don't think that that has any raised emotion
(unlike other threads), but it really is frustrating that it isn't easier to
"just get working".  Anyway...

Does anyone have a good recommendation of a hostap compatible or
> master-mode compatible USB wifi adapter?

I would recommend the CradlePoint broadband routers.  I do not remember
which Sprint card you have, but if it is USB (judging by the Artigo form
factor, it is), you will save much pain/suffering just buying a CradlePoint
(unless this is a construction mission that you want to persue for "fun", in
which case, I am not sure which drivers support "HostAp" but some info is
here: http://linux-wless.passys.nl and
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/MasterMode

I am looking at either the PHS300 ($179, has Li-Ion battery but no ethernet)
or the CTR350 ($150, no battery + ethernet port), but the CTR500 ($179)
supports both ExpressCard and USB.

I am leaning toward the CTR350, as I have a travel battery/inverter set that
I plan to power the thing with that I bought at AllGen for $10.  I can see
the PHS300 working if you just want to jump Wifi -> EVDO (battery-power
would be very useful), plus it is not much different than a travel HDD in
size (4.7" x 2.8" x 0.8").

> I am running 7.04 Ubuntu Gutsy and so far have been unsuccessful in
> locating a prism2 card that I can set in master mode.  This is going
> on my Artigo so it's not like "I can just toss one in", hence the
> requirement for USB.I have tried several Linksys adapters and an SMC
> USB (SMC2652W?).  The SMC card used to work in host mode, back when I
> was running RedHat 7.3.

See https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/MasterMode

The idea is that I can use the Artigo to proxy the connection from my
> Sprint aircard to the USB Wireless NIC, but I want to use encryption
> for the local clients.  It's either that or I have to get a wireless
> AP and carry it with me and use the builtin ethernet NIC for that.

See PHS300 and let me know if it fits the bill...

HTH,
jp