[SATLUG] DVD mounting problem on Compaq C700

Eric Haugen erichaugen at gmail.com
Fri Jul 18 10:43:52 CDT 2008

I recently picked up a cheapie Compaq C700 laptop a couple of weeks ago.  I
loaded Ubuntu 8.04 and the restricted drivers and outside of having to tweak
the wireless card to get it to work everything seemed to work alright till I
tried to play a DVD.  After I inserted it the machine would lock up for
about 90 seconds and tell me that it was not able to play in either MPlayer,
VLC or DVD:Rip.  However Nautilus would be able to open and look at the
contents of the DVD just fine, and when I jump over to the other partition
and fire up Vista it plays just fine.  Any thoughts on how I can get this to
play on Ubuntu?

TIA,
Eric Haugen