[SATLUG] Wireless Driver Installation

John Pappas j at jvpappas.net
Fri Jul 18 16:41:34 CDT 2008

On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 11:15, Andrew Pickens <wg5o at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> "I don't have an ubuntu box running, but I think that if you install via
> Synaptic the following packages (You may have to search for keywords as
> well):
> "kernel-devel & module-assistant"
> Done.  No problem; same names.

IIRC m-a (run as root - `sudo -s`) has an option to "prepare" or something
like that.  Let's focus on the ndiswrapper config for now.  I will assume
that you will be working as root from here on, just to be sure that things
that I want to do have proper permission.

"You should probably not be working in /etc/network, but rather in a proper
> working directory (ie /home/andy/rtl8185_linux_26.1010.0531.2006/)  Anyway,
> installing kernel-devel and module-assistant will get us closer to proper
> compilation."
> I tried again.  Here is the whole thing, as requested:

My research indicates that you should run the compilation as root, not sure
why.  See <

Skip down, as we are going to focus on the ndiswrapper config, as the
`ndiswrapper -l` output looks promising.

Re 'lspci -knn':
> Here it is:
> andy at izzy:/home$ lspci -nn
> 00:00.6 Host bridge [0600]: VIA Technologies, Inc. Unknown device
> [1106:6290]
> 00:12.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT6102
> [Rhine-II] [1106:3065] (rev 7c)
> 05:06.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. 88w8335
> [Libertas] 802.11b/g Wireless [11ab:1faa] (rev 03)
>  05:07.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Davicom Semiconductor, Inc. 21x4x
> DEC-Tulip compatible 10/100 Ethernet [1282:9102] (rev 40)

Ok.  Looking back at previous correspondence, it looks like ndiswrapper is
correctly enabled with the appropriate driver.  So let's do this (as root):

`ndiswrapper -l`
`depmod -a` to save the module dependancies
`modprobe -r ndiswrapper` unload the driver, just to be sure that we are
`modprobe ndiswrapper` seems that all the documentation indicates that this
command is required after verifying the driver with `ndiswrapper -l`
`tail -n20 /var/log/messages` to get the messages related to the

Assuming that we can see wlan0, we need to run `ndiswrapper -m` to save the
configuration to modprobe.d

Let's see where that gets us.

> We never had a working configuration (except in Windows).  What I had was a
> recognized wireless interface that couldn't send and receive ... or maybe it
> just couldn't receive.

Understand.  We'll get'er done.

Sorry for this mess.

Not your fault.  Reference previous rants. ;)