[SATLUG] Firefox 3.0.1 issue

Daniel J. Givens daniel at rugmonster.org
Fri Jul 18 23:09:23 CDT 2008

On Fri, 18 Jul 2008 22:48:02 -0500
"Justin Burdette" <justin.burdette at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm having a strange problem...Firefox will crash randomly and not
> load again until I reboot. When I click the icon (or try to run it in
> any way from CLI), KDE System Guard shows 2 Firefox processes, but it
> does absolutely nothing.
>
> I've tried clearing my cache, disabling my extensions, and nothing has
> worked so far. The only way to get it to come up is to reboot the
> machine. (Restarting X doesn't work either...)
>
> Anyone else having this problem, or have any ideas?

You can get firefox running again by killing off all of the instances. The
following command should do the trick.

pkill -9 firefox

Most of the times I've seen behavior like that in firefox, it's been
caused by a buggy extension. Make sure there aren't any updates
available for any of your extensions and start disabling them one at a
time until you don't have it crash for a reasonable amount of time.
Make note of that extension and begin turning the others back on one at
a time and testing. That's the way I would weed out the crappy ones.

Cheers,
Daniel