[SATLUG] Lapptop Screen - [OT] That's one of the reasons I hate Apple

pixelnate at gmail.com pixelnate at gmail.com
Sat Jul 19 17:05:35 CDT 2008

On Sat, 2008-07-19 at 16:07 -0500, Brad Knowles wrote:
> Thanks to my wife, I had a cracked screen in my then brand-new
> PowerBook 17", and it wasn't covered under warranty.  But to keep the
> warranty valid, I still had to have it repaired by Apple, and that
> ended up costing about $2000, only slightly less than the whole
> machine had cost a few months earlier.

And that is why I won't drop the kind of $$$ they are asking for one of
their laptops. They are the most expensive machines to have fixed, and
Apple cuts you no slack at all. I bet you had the bend-me-over-a-barrel
AppleCare warranty too. You cannot just buy the parts and install them
yourself either.

Our IT guy had to replace my mobo on my dual G5 about a year ago and
even though he did find a place to buy the part, he couldn't just buy it
and install it. We needed to have a certified Apple geek install it (who
would only install his mobo which was more expensive). Apparently you
need some sort of special code to get the internal fans calibrated
correctly and only Apple certified goons know the special incantations.

It just pisses me off every time I hear about somebody getting screwed
by Jobs and Co. They are worse now than MS ever was. I am a phone call
away from switching my CS suite to Windows. I cannot bring myself to bow
at the Mac alter again. I bragged about them during the Quadra days, I
boasted about them during the PowerMac phase, I rejoiced in the splendor
of fruity flavored computing, but the soul that Apple once had has gone
gray and boring. They are the new evil Empire.

~Nate

I will never send a message from an iPhone.