[SATLUG] New to list and [OT] That's one of the reasons I hate Apple

Nancy Hopkins celestialbz at Mac.com
Sun Jul 20 13:49:39 CDT 2008

Interesting that I should arrive now in the middle of this discussion with
my question.

I need a bit of help. I have recently gotten a used laptop (Sony Vaio) with
Ubuntu loaded as the operating system from a friend of mine. I am new to
Linux and not super swuft with computers but I am learning. I got this
laptop specifically to help me with online research since my ancient Mac
with OS 9 is now having issues with various on line sites, videos, and such.
Unfortunately, none of the ports fit my cable hook up to the internet (I
have Roadrunner).

So, I either need some sort of converter that will allow me to hook up the
cable to the laptop--ideally with some way to have both computers hooked up
at the same time. Or I need to set this laptop to go wireless which means I
need a wireless card, etc.

Where can I go to get this stuff? What do I need to know to make sure I get
set up correctly? What exactly do I need? I went to a recently opened PC
Outlet store in my area and they were useless.

Thanks in advance!

--
Nancy Hopkins
San Antonio, TX

We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty. When the loyal opposition dies,
I think the soul of America dies with it. -- Edward R. Murrow