[SATLUG] New to list and [OT] That's one of the reasons I hate Apple

Nancy Hopkins celestialbz at Mac.com
Sun Jul 20 13:49:39 CDT 2008

Interesting that I should arrive now in the middle of this discussion with
my question.

I need a bit of help. I have recently gotten a used laptop (Sony Vaio) with
Ubuntu loaded as the operating system from a friend of mine. I am new to
Linux and not super swuft with computers but I am learning. I got this
laptop specifically to help me with online research since my ancient Mac
with OS 9 is now having issues with various on line sites, videos, and such.
Unfortunately, none of the ports fit my cable hook up to the internet (I
have Roadrunner).

So, I either need some sort of converter that will allow me to hook up the
cable to the laptop--ideally with some way to have both computers hooked up
at the same time. Or I need to set this laptop to go wireless which means I
need a wireless card, etc.

Where can I go to get this stuff? What do I need to know to make sure I get
set up correctly? What exactly do I need? I went to a recently opened PC
Outlet store in my area and they were useless.

Thanks in advance!

Nancy Hopkins
San Antonio, TX

We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty. When the loyal opposition dies,
I think the soul of America dies with it. -- Edward R. Murrow