[SATLUG] Lapptop Screen

John D Choate jdchoate at gmail.com
Sun Jul 20 11:23:13 CDT 2008

On Saturday 19 July 2008 18:35:05 Jose Leiva wrote:
> I work for a local San Antonio Computer Shop, and the average price for a
> screen replacement including screen will be around $290.
> Some shops install new screens which we do, but other shops don't tell you
> and install a used screen which price falls in the $130's.
> If you do call around ask whether the screen is new or used. Some shops have
> dead laptops with similar LCD screens that will work with your computer and
> you can go home with a $125-200 bill.

This may seem a silly question, but... does this laptop need to remain portable? If not, you can just remove the screen from it and get an inexpensive LCD monitor to plug it into as though it were a desktop machine. Then you could use it with an external monitor without the built-in screen being in the way.
Even if the laptop were to be portable, as long as there is a monitor to plug into where it will be used then there's no need to replace the screen. Just plug into any available monitor, and take a vga cable wherever the laptop goes in case you need it (in case the available monitor only has a digital connector attached).