[SATLUG] New to list and [OT] That's one of the reasons I hate Apple

Todd W. Bucy toddwbucy at grandecom.net
Sun Jul 20 17:38:12 CDT 2008

On Sun, 2008-07-20 at 11:49 -0700, Nancy Hopkins wrote:
> Interesting that I should arrive now in the middle of this discussion with
> my question.
>
> I need a bit of help. I have recently gotten a used laptop (Sony Vaio) with
> Ubuntu loaded as the operating system from a friend of mine. I am new to
> Linux and not super swuft with computers but I am learning. I got this
> laptop specifically to help me with online research since my ancient Mac
> with OS 9 is now having issues with various on line sites, videos, and such.
> Unfortunately, none of the ports fit my cable hook up to the internet (I
> have Roadrunner).
>
> So, I either need some sort of converter that will allow me to hook up the
> cable to the laptop--ideally with some way to have both computers hooked up
> at the same time. Or I need to set this laptop to go wireless which means I
> need a wireless card, etc.
>
> Where can I go to get this stuff? What do I need to know to make sure I get
> set up correctly? What exactly do I need? I went to a recently opened PC
> Outlet store in my area and they were useless.
>
> Thanks in advance!
>

> --
> Nancy Hopkins
> San Antonio, TX
>
> We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty. When the loyal opposition dies,
> I think the soul of America dies with it. -- Edward R. Murrow

I could be mistaken but I think that for the past few years most laptops
have had wireless cards built in.  Google the model # of your particular
laptop for the specs.  Plus you might want to check out the Ubuntu
Forums http://ubuntuforums.org/ . They have a pretty good discussion on
wireless issues associated with the sony vaio
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=621562 . Of course, this will
not help you unless you know the specific model of your laptop.

Todd