[SATLUG] Re: New to list

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Mon Jul 21 12:17:47 CDT 2008

Todd W. Bucy wrote:

> Linux has some problems with wireless
> drivers and often require a little massaging to get them to work
> properly.

Let's rephrase that a bit:  Some wireless vendors are reluctant to develop Linux
drivers or provide proper specifications to the Linux driver team and thus
require a little massaging to get them to work.

> This all though is rather academic if you do not have a wireless router
> connected to your ISP's hardware (i.e. cable modem).  you can find them
> pretty cheap if you look around.  I personally use a d-link di-524 that
> I picked up at Wall-Mart for $35 (http://walmartwatch.com/) a couple of
> years ago.

Honestly, though.  I think it wold be an unusual laptop to not have a standard
Ethernet port.  In that case something like a Netgear WGT624 would give
flexibility of wired and wireless connections.

The cost is about $50 - $60 via an Internet purchase or you can get it at Best Buy.

   -- Bruce