[SATLUG] Re: New to list

Todd W. Bucy toddwbucy at grandecom.net
Mon Jul 21 21:06:41 CDT 2008

On Mon, 2008-07-21 at 21:55 -0700, Nancy Hopkins wrote:
> Thank you, thank you! I am overwhelmed with all the help you guys have been
> offering! Believe me, I appreciate it.
>
> Todd W. Bucy: I actually talked to the unhelpful guy at the neighborhood
> computer store about a wireless router and was able to price them. Not
> tempted to purchase one from that store, but there is a Walmart nice and
> close.

look around on the net for a good router. try newegg.com they ussually
have the best deals and have great customer service.  Stay awayfrom
tigerdirect.com the customer service is real bad and trying o get bad
equipment replaced by them is often more trouble then its worth.  You
might find something good at wollyworld but your sellection will be
quite limited and you will not necessarily get the most for your money
there.  I found a pretty good deal there but I consider myself lucky.

> The more I think of it, the more I think I would prefer to go wireless with
> this laptop. I think that would ultimately be easier and provide more
> flexible use of the laptop.
>
> Hmmm. Would I need to have a network card in my desktop to do this? Or is
> there some way I could get away without the network card? Perhaps my desktop
> has network capabilities already? Surely it does.

no you if your desktop is already hooked up to you cable modem you
probably already have a network card installed.  You will just need to
hook up your desktop to the router and the router up to your cable
modem.

> LOL, learning can be fun! Shoot the person who sent me this computer is the
> same one who convinced me that I could learn HTML to create a website. I
> have been having fun with that once I got over the initial "I have no idea
> what this is about" stage. She also told me that Linux users were very
> helpful and I would be fine with this computer. She was right about that,
> too, :-).
>
> Lou: The model number for my Vaio is PCG 993L. Again, excellent information,
> thanks.
>
> Bruce Dubbs: Thank you for your voice and help.
>
> John Kirby: Thank you also for your $0.02 worth. Believe me each of you have
> helped me!
>
> I am getting ready for a short trip, so will have to postpone my search for
> a router or wireless box thingy. I think I have enough information to sound
> at least mildly intelligent when I go to the store now thanks to you all.

have a great trip
Todd