[SATLUG] reisersfs vs other file systems

Don Wright satlug at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jul 22 13:39:28 CDT 2008

On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 11:03:15 -0500, "Jeremy Mann" <jeremymann at gmail.com> wrote:

>Geoff, there's nothing wrong with XFS. I have used it for years on our
>backup servers with partitions up to 4TB. Any time you get DMA errors,
>that drive is going to die. It may not be now, or next week, but it
>will eventually die.

Not so fast. I do agree that leaving things as they are will lead to future pain. I'm just
not ready to assign all the blame to the transplanted drive. There are also cables, other
hardware, and software to consider. (hd versus sd naming may mean different kernel
modules.)

I've had problems with Promise cards under Linux, so before pitching a drive I'd check it
with smartctl, connected to the mainboard with a different cable. Be sure to read man
smartctl - it's a power tool. (Mad scientist goggles optional.)

It could even be a conflict between WD and Hitachi(?) interpretations of the PATA spec, so
they work OK, just not together. Or you might be the proud owner of an IBM/Hitachi
"DeathStar" drive, where going boom is predestined, and the Redmondware was concealing
errors as usual.  --Don