[SATLUG] reisersfs vs other file systems

Geoff geofff at w5omr.shacknet.nu
Tue Jul 22 13:59:20 CDT 2008

Todd W. Bucy wrote:
>> Geoff, there's nothing wrong with XFS. I have used it for years on our
>> backup servers with partitions up to 4TB. Any time you get DMA errors,
>> that drive is going to die. It may not be now, or next week, but it
>> will eventually die.
>>

> and then there was silence as the doctor delivered the news...Your
> hard-drive is dying...My condolenses Geoff I hope it survives long
> enugh to back up.

Well, that's the thing.  There were dma errors out the ying-yang, when
it was an xfs formatted file system.  After deleting the partition in
fdisk, then formatting the partition with reisersfs , the errors have
gone away.

Mind you, this was all done yesterday, and I'm wary enough -not- to be
putting any sensitive data on it.  I only copied files from a fairly
full directory then deleted 'em, and recopied more... copied, not
moved...  with xfs, dma errors galore.  with reisersfs, no errors.

While I'm asking... there was a line, after I ran fdisk, that said I
should reboot the linux OS computer (whole computer, presumably to reset
the drive) when I was done in/with fdisk.  Does that -really- matter?

Thanks, all, for answers, so far.