[SATLUG] Re: Reiser vs other file systems

herb cee hc at lookcee.com
Tue Jul 22 15:58:40 CDT 2008

scs at worldlinkisp.com wrote:
> I can think of no reason that would cause the drive to exhibit  ' dma errors '  only when using ' xfs ' files, and not do the same (dma errors) with  ' reiser .'   Never heard of a drive being selective as to the arrangement of ' ones and zeros.'
>
> As Don pointed out, I'd look closely at hardware interconnections.

I gotta agree cause your data path is now different and where one
program used it successful and the other did not I would suspect the
driver for the 'above mobo' change. My understanding is DMA allows the
HD to stream directly to/from RAM without requiring any CPU action,
purely the bus cycle. so your physical data path has changed and you
added new software