[SATLUG] VJ compression

Borries Demeler demeler at biochem.uthscsa.edu
Thu Jul 24 07:04:58 CDT 2008

I am using my cell phone as a modem to get internet on my laptop
with kppp. In kppp there is the option of viewing the statistics of
transmissions. When viewing this I noticed that no packets were sent using
van jacobson compression. So I believe I could gain some additional speed
if there were an option to turn this on, but I can't find a way to do that.

I am calling into a modem on my own network, so I can configure both server
and client. Is it possible to enable this compression, or is this a hardware
feature that my modem doesn't support (Motorola Razr)?

It would be nice if I could gain a little extra speed from this setup
by using VJ compression.Any help would be appreciated.

-Borries