[SATLUG] memory errors?

Todd W. Bucy toddwbucy at grandecom.net
Fri Jul 25 13:48:21 CDT 2008

On Fri, 2008-07-25 at 13:05 -0500, Brad Knowles wrote:
> Dale Crummie wrote:
>
> > When I upgraded my system I used G.Skill DDR800 matched pair, and for a few
> > days I nearly pulled my hair out with problems.  What I discovered was that
> > some BIOS don't detect the correct voltages and timing.  All I had to do was
> > manually set both and its been working great ever since (But thats on an
> > ABIT mobo)
>
> Yeah, you've got to check your voltages carefully with some companies.  For
> example, I'm told that gamer-oriented memory from Crucial tends to run at
> 1.8 volts instead of the standard 1.5 volts.  It will usually kinda semi
> sorta work at 1.5 volts, but you'll fry things pretty quickly because the
> system has to pump more amperage to compensate for the lower voltage, and
> that doesn't work so well over the long term.
>
> If you manually set your voltage to the correct 1.8 volts (unfortunately,
> most motherboards don't let you do that), then you're fine.

I am looking at my bios, which by the way is a p5n-e sli bios 1101, my
option for adjusting voltages are as follows...
Vcore Voltage ranges from 0.83125v - 1.60000v
Memory Voltage ranges from 1.920v - 2.517v
NB core voltage 1.208v, 1.393v, 1.563v, and 1.748v
vcore offset voltage auto or +100mv

I can also set the NB PCIE clock (curently at 100)

Options under the FSB & Memory Config
FSB - Memory clock mode (st to Linked)
FSB - Memory Ratio - set to 1:1
and FSB (QDR), MHZ set to 1066

I am not sure which voltage that I should start to test so any guidence
which yall could offer would be greatly appreciated

Todd