[SATLUG] Re: Memory Errors (voltage)

Todd W. Bucy toddwbucy at grandecom.net
Fri Jul 25 16:57:33 CDT 2008

On Fri, 2008-07-25 at 15:58 -0500, Brad Knowles wrote:
> scs at worldlinkisp.com wrote:
>
> > Set the memory voltae to whatever the manufacturer (OCZ I believe)
> > recommends.
>
> Correct.
>
> > I personally keep my memory voltage low (not a gamer or throughput fiend)
>
> You don't want to under-voltage the memory.  That is guaranteed to cause
> burnout and other problems down the road.
>
> If you keep your voltage set at the value recommended by the manufacturer,
> then you should be fine.
>
> > Overclocking requires higher cpu and memory settings, but increases power
> > dissipation.
>
> You don't want to over-voltage the memory, either.  You want the correct
> setting, otherwise you risk burnout and other problems.

I am currently and incrementally increasing the power of my memory and I
have noticed a pattern...the lower the voltage the sooner I start
getting errors whilerunning memtest, as a consequence as I raise the
voltage the errors become fewer. problem is my voltage is now up to
2.517 and I am starting to get nervous.  Do I risk burning anything out
other then my memory doing this?  This is gammer ware and OCZ gaurantees
stability up to 2.2 but I am now experiementing beyond the manufacture
warrenty.

reference OCZ specs:
http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/memory/ocz_ddr2_pc2_6400_sli_ready_edition_4gb_dual_channel

Todd