[SATLUG] Re:Apparently Foxconn Mobos sabotage Linux

gboswell gboswell at cis.sac.accd.edu
Sat Jul 26 09:15:12 CDT 2008

Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2008 14:23:25 -0500
> From: Bruce Dubbs <bruce.dubbs at gmail.com>
> Subject: [SATLUG] Apparently Foxconn Mobos sabotage Linux
> 	<satlug at satlug.org>
>
> http://ubuntu-virginia.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=869249
> http://linux.slashdot.org/linux/08/07/25/1150218.shtml
>
>    -- Bruce

Awesome information Bruce. Maybe we should have a SATLUG session on how
to detect this level of information and possible understanding. You're
not going to be able to do a C class but I remember a boot bios session
you did when SATLUG was at the clubhouse in Hollywood park and later at
SAC, but extremely informative.

How many of us would like to have the ability to know at least how this
stuff effects our Linux. Knowing that I have several Dell
laptops/Desktops  that may have  the same  "Microsoft"  bias in the
bios  makes me  wonder.

Is there a  list  of  Manufactures  that do support Linux or have know
Linux bias. I'm thinking the system I have is Foxconn based and I'm
going to run a Ultimate Boot disk to determine, but what Mobo
manufacture would be a good alternative. I'm sure you don't have that
info immediately available and I haven't done a good Google search about
it yet but if someone else on the list has a list or knows where it is
it would be good for all of us.

Maybe the notion "Vista Certified motherboard" means  look for
alternative  manufacture.  Definetly Foxconn is out. Anyone know of all
the oem's they supply?

Boz