[SATLUG] More Info on XCSSA's New Hardware Bent

tweeks tweeks at rackspace.com
Sat Jul 26 11:54:41 CDT 2008

Hey all..

I would like to take a moment to welcome all the new "hardware hacker" lurkers
who have recently (and quietly) joined the XCSSA mail list.  Most of these
folks are Rackers and came to us by way of the Rackspace Hardware Hacker
meeting in June (held at @Rackspace)... Some of which are already dabbling in
microcontroller programming, but many of which are brand new to hardware
hacking (aka "Physical Computing").

Many of these new folks have recently signed up on XCSSA, but have not made
any of the recent meetings, and have asked me to send out some XCSSA
meeting/presentation pointers so that they can see what we're like..

So, to that point, here's a post about XCSSA's new hardware subjects that I
recently sent to ALG (Austin LUG)...

N00bs enjoy! and please feel free to c ome out to the August & September
meetings!  They sounds like they're going to be a real hoot!

-----------------
Hey all..

Just a heads up... (and shameless plug here.. ;)

XCSSA.ORG (in SA) is in the process of re-forming to include not just
alternative operating systems (UN*X, non-MS, etc), but to also include
hardware hacking and electronics projects too.

XCSSA's History:
Born our of the old CASA/C=Amiga group from the 80's -- since 1996 XCSSA has
formally been mostly about alternative OS' and some other random hardware
projects here and there.  However we've found that much of our interest
(and some of our geeky associates that we hang with) are interested in much
more X-otic stuff than just Linux, xBSD, Plan9 and other operating
systems.  They like tinkering with embedded systems, microcontrollers,
electronics and more.  And let's face it.. Running Linux or even Solaris or
xBSD just isn't "that X-otic" any more. ;)

But XCSSA has always had a bit of a hardware-hack bent to our passions... so
in this light, we are re-forming ourselves to also embrace the hardware
hacker side of our geek-selves and will be soon revamping our site to include
a wiki, forums, project pages (for hardware and software hacks), and much
more to help us better develop this side of the group.  We will be rounding
things out a bit by featuring more hardware hacker, electronics,
microcontroller projects, and maybe even some robotics type presentations as
well as ad hoc hardware show-n-tell sessions.  People wise, around 50-60 San
Antonio hardware geeks are in the process of joining forces with the XCSSA
ranks (mostly from Rackspace).. so we're getting bigger too!

Officially, July 21st was our first formal foray into this new arena:
        http://xcssa.org/archives/XCSSA_2008-07-21.html#NEXT
	http://xcssa.org/photos/XCSSA_2008-07-21/

and as always, we love to invite others to come sniff things out, share info
with us, have some pizza and to learn.   No memberships, minutes, politics or
dues.  Just hard core geeky-fun, learning, and pizza. :)

Recent Hardware Hacker Presentations:
If this sounds interesting, but you don't want to drive down without knowing
more, know that we already have several Austin-ites who make the trek down
since we've added this new agenda to our docket.  To wet your appetite, here
are some of the recent presentations from the past three months (yes..
sometimes we have 2-3 presentations during our 3 hour meetings, and sometimes
even hang out a couple hours in the parking lot after than chatting it up!):

        "The Arduino Microcontroller", By Scott Simpson
        http://xcssa.org/files/2008-05-19_Arduino_Slides_Scott-Simpson.pdf

        "Assembling a ZIFduino μ-controller Dev Board Kit", By Tweeks
        http://xcssa.org/files/2008-06_zifduino
        http://theweeks.org/rockets/2008-06_ZIFDUINO/

        "Getting High on Microcontrollers", By Chris Snell
        http://xcssa.org/files/2008-06_HAB_Talk_Chris-Snell.swf

        "PIC Microcontrollers Intro & Overview", By Pete Vorenkamp
        http://xcssa.org/files/2008-06_Pic_Micro_Pres-Pete_Vorenkamp.swf

        "Interfacing Character LCDs w/the Arduino Microcontroller", By: Tweeks
        http://xcssa.org/archives/files/2008-07_LCD-Interfacing.swf

        "Intro to the MIDI Box Platform: The ShoeSID":By, Tim Soderstrom
        http://xcssa.org/archives/files/2008-07_MidiBox-SID-Brownbag.swf

        Recent Photos:
        http://xcssa.org/photos/XCSSA_2008-07-21/

Upcoming subjects in Aug & September include:
        -Hacking on the Hydra Propeller based Gaming-Dev Platform
        -Using EagleCAD to take circuits from inception to Fabbed PC Boards
         (yes.. for the beginner)

If interested, we meet every third Monday night of the month (next=Aug 18th)
from 7pm-10pm, in room 025 (the basement computer lab) of Nail Technical
Center... heh.. and some even hang out in the parking lot for an hour or two
after that. :)

Mail list (low BW) here: