[SATLUG] Adventures in HW upgrades

pixelnate at gmail.com pixelnate at gmail.com
Sun Jul 27 12:01:48 CDT 2008

On Sat, 2008-07-26 at 21:10 -0500, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> I thought I'd document what I just went through in a HW update.
>
> I wanted to add a 2nd 1920x1200 monitor to my Dell 370n system, so I did some
> research.  To get a video card that I need to get the resolution I want, I need
> to first upgrade my 350W power supply.
>
> Well I ordered a  Silencer 500 Dell Power Supply from PC Power Zone ($100 + $10
> shipping).  It seems that Dell has some special needs/requirements for a power
> supply, but they don't have a power supply upgrade for my system.

I can tell you right now, your problem is your power supply. You should
really be using a PSU rated at 650w at the minimum. I was having a
similar problem with an Ultra 500w PSU. Changed it to an Antec 850W and
now no problems. With the old PSU sometimes it would start with video,
but most times it wouldn't. And if I ever tried restarting it I was
guaranteed that I would have no video. The machine would post (as far as
I could tell), but no video.

I guarantee that your PSU is too weak and is causing your problem.

~Nate