[SATLUG] Adventures in HW upgrades

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Sun Jul 27 12:24:16 CDT 2008

pixelnate at gmail.com wrote:
> On Sat, 2008-07-26 at 21:10 -0500, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
>> I thought I'd document what I just went through in a HW update.
>>
>> I wanted to add a 2nd 1920x1200 monitor to my Dell 370n system, so I did some
>> research.  To get a video card that I need to get the resolution I want, I need
>> to first upgrade my 350W power supply.
>>
>> Well I ordered a  Silencer 500 Dell Power Supply from PC Power Zone ($100 + $10
>> shipping).  It seems that Dell has some special needs/requirements for a power
>> supply, but they don't have a power supply upgrade for my system.
>
> I can tell you right now, your problem is your power supply. You should
> really be using a PSU rated at 650w at the minimum. I was having a
> similar problem with an Ultra 500w PSU. Changed it to an Antec 850W and
> now no problems. With the old PSU sometimes it would start with video,
> but most times it wouldn't. And if I ever tried restarting it I was
> guaranteed that I would have no video. The machine would post (as far as
> I could tell), but no video.
>
> I guarantee that your PSU is too weak and is causing your problem.

But I don't have a problem.  I was going through the learning curve and was
sharing my experience.

According to

http://arstechnica.com/reviews/hardware/nvidia-9800-gtx-review.ars/4

the peak power is 210 watts.  Since I added 150W to what I had, I don't think
the 60W draw from what I had is excessive.

If I added a larger power supply than what I have now, I'd have to get an
electrician out to put in another circuit.  LOL.  :)

   -- Bruce