[SATLUG] Success with wi-fi

Al Castanoli afcasta at satx.rr.com
Mon Jul 28 21:27:09 CDT 2008

On Sun, 2008-07-27 at 21:44 -0400, Benjamin Temple wrote:

> Hello,
> I actually succeeded in getting Wi-Fi to work in Ubuntu
> with my troublesome chipset, a Broadcom BCM4318. I installed
> b43-fwcutter using apt-get and it said "This package requires firmware
> files that cannot legally be shipped with this system. Would you like
> to download them?" I said yes in the ncurses-based application and my
> Wi-Fi worked.
> Hope this helps others with the same chipset.
> Regards,
> Benjamin T. Temple

Thanks, Benjamin!  I've been using a 100' long cat 5e network cable on
one of my old laptops because I couldn't get the Broadcom wifi card to
work.  Hardy's happy now on it with the wifi working and I can put away
the network cable.  On new purchases I'd just made sure I was getting an
Intel wifi card, even on my Athlon boxen, and am glad to be able to
avoid those Intel chips, too.

Al Castanoli