[SATLUG] Re: mobile devices with linux

Brad Knowles brad at shub-internet.org
Tue Jul 29 14:54:26 CDT 2008

KC wrote:

> I dont mean to flame, really...

Obviously what you do and what you say are two totally different things.

>                                  but what dreamland are you living in
> where you actually come remotely close to suggesting that Apple will
> ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, EVER... open.... anything...?

Have you heard of this thing called Darwin?

The only thing that Darwin lacks is the Aqua GUI.  You can run X on it just
fine.

Apple has been falling behind in moving code out to Darwin lately, and I
think that's because they need to hire a couple more open-source people to
help push that part of the project along.  But they've already hired Jordan
Hubbard (former Release Engineer for FreeBSD), and they've sucked up a lot
of good talent from elsewhere, so I'm not sure who is left to hire.

> No offense meant to you, really... but it's been like almost 30 years
> since Mr Control Freak began to operate his
> always-has-50-times-more-potential-than-his-closed-minded-control-freakiness-will-allow
> Apple computer business... one of America's all-time greatest lost
> potentials...

Yes, he's a control freak, but he does that mostly where it counts, and he's
built one of the best computer companies in the business on the basis of
that process.

I defy you to do any better.