[SATLUG] Re: mobile devices with linux

pixelnate at gmail.com pixelnate at gmail.com
Tue Jul 29 15:26:27 CDT 2008

On Tue, 2008-07-29 at 14:59 -0500, Brad Knowles wrote:
> They tried that.  They discovered that none of the clones were actually
> bringing in any new business.  They were just undercutting Apple on price
> and taking away existing customers.

That just goes to show you, you don't need to buy an Apple machine to
get the Apple experience. They have much better margins on HW than SW,
tho.

> There's no sense allowing people to clone your hardware if the only thing
> they're going to do is put you out of business.

That's the thing, the clones are everywhere now. Nearly every Intel
machine being sold these days could conceivably run their fancy OS. They
will not allow that to happen. I 'd much rather use OSX than Vista to
pair with the Adobe CS Suite, but they will not allow that to happen.

And they won't build a sensible machine for those of us not willing to
a) give up our own tremendously awesome monitor, or b) pay $2800 for a
computer. If they would sell a box for $1000-1200 that is the equivalent
of an iMac with with a single PCI-E slot, I'd be all over it. But the
way things are, you either buy an iMac with a glossy screen and crappy
graphics HW (except for the top of the line) or you get gouged to the
tune of $3K.

~Nate