[SATLUG] Re: mobile devices with linux

pixelnate at gmail.com pixelnate at gmail.com
Tue Jul 29 15:50:57 CDT 2008

On Tue, 2008-07-29 at 15:42 -0500, Samuel Leon wrote:
> I don't know what happened to this thread but here is mobile linux:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Openmoko
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_netbooks
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Mobile_Internet_Device
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GP2X
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Linux_based_devices
> http://www.linuxdevices.com/
>
> For me my next mobile linux device will be an msi wind
> http://www.msimobile.com/DetailPage.aspx?model=Wind_NB_Linux

Will anybody really be satisfied with the lack of capability that these
netbooks represent when compared to the sub-$500 laptops that are now in
the market? They all seem to me to be too little, too late.

> or the dell eSlim
> http://www.engadget.com/tag/ESlim/
>
> I think the closest thing to a pda type device will be the nokia n770,
> n800, n810 or the openmoko cell phone.

FWIW, the n800 doens't make a tremendously useful PDA when compared with
the Palm or WinCE devices. The latest software update, while visually
sexy, bogs the machine down so much it's barely usable. Video is also
total crap on it: it's painful to format DVD movies for it and it will
only play quarter screen videos (doubled to fill the screen) reliably.
Major foobar on Nokia's part, there is some bottleneck in the way the
signal is processed after it hits the DSP. I can't wait for the n9XX.
Should be much better.

~Nate