[SATLUG] Re: mobile devices with linux

pixelnate at gmail.com pixelnate at gmail.com
Tue Jul 29 15:57:56 CDT 2008

On Tue, 2008-07-29 at 13:46 -0700, KC wrote:
> To keep it alive, though... you don't agree that if he hadn't been so damn expensive and closed source that his empire would have dwarfed Gates as his was built on a product that work far better and more reliably..?
>
> How could you deny that compliment I have always proffered Apple computer...? And that is where the vehemence comes from... the squandered potential. Windows 95 and the infamous "DONK!" BDS etc etc etc... Why was THAT my only choice?! And, after all those years... all those opportunities Jobs had to say, "Ok, I have forged my way to the top with a superior product... time to ratchet up the competition on this MS guy."
>
> It's kinda sidebar parallel to the way Japan always has the cool phone cause the companies are milking out American consumer market for every penny they can...
>
> Makes me wonder how the Japanese can force their tech companies to deliver the more advanced products to them... and what we should do here to emulate it to get the tech ball rolling...

Dude, I hate to harp on anybody's grammar, but please use complete
sentences. Or at least get a little closer to it. It's getting hard to
follow you.

As far as the tech goes, I am really hoping that Ubuntu Mobile on an
Atom device can approximate what Apple did with the old Newton
Messagepad. I had a MP 2100 and it is still one of the coolest devices I
have ever seen. The handwriting recognition was awesome, the clipboard
was genius, making lists was so easy (a little thing, I know) and it
just felt right. The only thing it lacked was a color screen and the
benefits of miniaturization. Man, I miss that thing.

~Nate