[SATLUG] Re: mobile devices with linux

Todd W. Bucy toddwbucy at grandecom.net
Tue Jul 29 16:05:34 CDT 2008

> FWIW, the n800 doens't make a tremendously useful PDA when compared with
> the Palm or WinCE devices. The latest software update, while visually
> sexy, bogs the machine down so much it's barely usable. Video is also
> total crap on it: it's painful to format DVD movies for it and it will
> only play quarter screen videos (doubled to fill the screen) reliably.
> Major foobar on Nokia's part, there is some bottleneck in the way the
> signal is processed after it hits the DSP. I can't wait for the n9XX.
> Should be much better.
>

> ~Nate

In defense of Nokia the n-series (n770, n800, etc.) was not really meant
to be a PDA but a web-tablet.  I personally, made the mistake of
purchasing it as a PDA and only found this out.  Now when I have a
chance to go to a wireless city (like Austin) I find it very useful to
do normal everyday stuff (like email and web surfing).  Given that I
live in SA its usefulness is somewhat limited.  It does however make a
pretty useful tool to find wireless networks though.

just my 2 cents
Todd