[SATLUG] Re: mobile devices with linux

pixelnate at gmail.com pixelnate at gmail.com
Tue Jul 29 16:16:03 CDT 2008

On Tue, 2008-07-29 at 16:05 -0500, Todd W. Bucy wrote:
> In defense of Nokia the n-series (n770, n800, etc.) was not really meant
> to be a PDA but a web-tablet.  I personally, made the mistake of
> purchasing it as a PDA and only found this out.

But the shortcomings regarding video playback were not take into
consideration for the n810.

> Now when I have a
> chance to go to a wireless city (like Austin) I find it very useful to
> do normal everyday stuff (like email and web surfing).

For reading email, minor surfing, and it makes a great PDF reader (if
your eyes are good enough). I buy all my tech books in PDF and use it
like an ebook reader.

>  Given that I
> live in SA its usefulness is somewhat limited.  It does however make a
> pretty useful tool to find wireless networks though.

It works great if you pair it with a 3G phone (not the iPhone ;^) with
bluetooth. It's a neat little device, just r-e-a-l-l-y slow with the
current software.

~Nate