[SATLUG] Re: mobile devices with linux

Brad Knowles brad at shub-internet.org
Tue Jul 29 16:35:29 CDT 2008

pixelnate at gmail.com wrote:

> That just goes to show you, you don't need to buy an Apple machine to
> get the Apple experience. They have much better margins on HW than SW,
> tho.

You're welcome to try to run MacOS X on non-Apple hardware.  Some people
have gotten it working, but the biggest thing is the lack of drivers for
most of the less common devices, and since most of the device drivers are
written by Apple themselves, you're not likely to see that situation improve
any time soon.

The miracle about the Psystar was that it existed at all, not that it worked
well.

This is about the same as the miracle of a talking dog being that it talks
at all, as opposed to being able to talk well.

> That's the thing, the clones are everywhere now.

They're not Apple clones.  They're Intel clones, and it just so happens that
Apple has chosen to use Intel-based chipsets for their most recent
generation of hardware.

Not the same thing.

>                                 I 'd much rather use OSX than Vista to
> pair with the Adobe CS Suite, but they will not allow that to happen.

You can run CS on MacOS X.  I've got a copy.  Works reasonably well.

Oh, and BTW, CS on MacOS X on Intel proves that Adobe was wrong -- the
software is no faster on Intel hardware than it was on the PowerPC.  The
real issue with Adobe is that they're just plain fat lazy bastards who can't
be bothered to write reasonable code that actually performs well.

> And they won't build a sensible machine for those of us not willing to
> a) give up our own tremendously awesome monitor, or b) pay $2800 for a
> computer.

Because Apple is not willing to build a substandard computer.  They're not
going to push crap out the door just because they can, unlike all the other
computer manufacturers in the business.

>            If they would sell a box for $1000-1200 that is the equivalent
> of an iMac with with a single PCI-E slot, I'd be all over it. But the
> way things are, you either buy an iMac with a glossy screen and crappy
> graphics HW (except for the top of the line) or you get gouged to the
> tune of $3K.

Or you get a Mac Mini and bring your own keyboard, mouse, etc....  The Mac
Mini is due for an update, but with an Intel Core 2 Duo at 2.0Ghz, that's
only marginally slower than the current iMac at 2.4GHz.  Hopefully the Mac
Mini will get updated soon, and will be more on par with the faster iMacs.