[SATLUG] Re: mobile devices with linux

Brad Knowles brad at shub-internet.org
Tue Jul 29 17:30:05 CDT 2008

KC wrote:

> I HAD forgotten about the Newton, though. Another awesome product that
> was ahead of it's time. I was really inspired by those, though I never
> was in a position to buy one. There was a LONG gap between the Newton and
> whatever came next, huh?

PalmOS.

> What DID come next? Palm and Windows CE?

Palm didn't commit corporate suicide by shipping WinCE until many years later.

When they did that, they became yet another non-name invisible WinCE
hardware manufacturer who could be thrown out in the trash with all the
other WinCE hardware manufacturers, since the one big problem that none of
them could escape was that they were starting with an execrable product and
the only thing they could to is to try to make it shiny.