[SATLUG] Re: mobile devices with linux

Brad Knowles brad at shub-internet.org
Tue Jul 29 17:36:57 CDT 2008

pixelnate at gmail.com wrote:

> The miracle (for them) was that they weren't sued earlier.

That's one miracle, yes.  But the bigger miracle before that was the fact
that they existed at all, not that the product worked well.

>> Not the same thing.
>
> Yeah, it is. They use the same chipsets and processors that everybody
> else uses.

It's not the same boot process, it's not the same BIOS.  Which means it's
completely and totally alien to 99.99999999999999999999999999999999999% of
the market out there.

> The Intel platform was actually faster. It turns out Apple was the one
> lying. The G5s were nothing special, and time has proved that.

Intel code is much more bloated, which more than compensates for the faster
hardware.

> I have a Mini. It's far too slow for production work. And most
> importantly, it uses discreet graphics. I want need a machine with more
> graphics power than an X3100.

Intel GMA graphics is more than most people need on a machine.  OTOH, if you
need more than Intel GMA graphics, then you don't have many options on
certain types of hardware.

For instance, plenty of laptops ship with Intel GMA graphics, and if you
need more than Intel GMA graphics can give you, then you simply can't go
with any of these laptops.

This might be something that Apple fixes in the next hardware refresh for
the Mac Mini.  We'll see.