[SATLUG] Re: mobile devices with linux

pixelnate at gmail.com pixelnate at gmail.com
Tue Jul 29 22:23:28 CDT 2008

On Tue, 2008-07-29 at 14:53 -0700, KC wrote:
> I HAD forgotten about the Newton, though. Another awesome product that was ahead of it's time. I was really inspired by those, though I never was in a position to buy one. There was a LONG gap between the Newton and whatever came next, huh?

I was only able to purchase one a couple of years after it was
discontinued. They were hella expensive when new. They were game
changing devices that El Capitan killed when he was brought back into
the fold. He has made *many* good decisions since returning to Apple,
but killing the Newton was not one of them. Contrary to what he says,
the stylus is not dead and handwriting recognition (the good kind like
on the Newton, not all attempts since) is the killer app. Crappy
onscreen keyboards are a major step backwards from natural handwriting.

> What DID come next? Palm and Windows CE?

Palm actually. They were a Newton developer. The original Graffiti was a
Newton app. Palm struck out with their own device to combat the Newton
with a pocket-size device. The Apple engineers had a pocket-sized device
ready to produce, but the bonehead managers refused to believe that
people wanted one. Palm made millions on the idea, and Apple continued
to struggle until Steve came back. He killed the Newton partially to
stop Apple hemorrhaging money, partially because it wasn't his idea. He
*hated* Amelio and it was under his tenure that the Newton lived.
There's more to the story, but this is a linux list, not an Apple
history list.

~Nate