[SATLUG] Re: mobile devices with linux

pixelnate at gmail.com pixelnate at gmail.com
Tue Jul 29 22:35:52 CDT 2008

On Tue, 2008-07-29 at 17:07 -0500, Brad Knowles wrote:
> I think Adobe has finally figured out that they really shot themselves in
> the foot with a thermonuclear device, and they can pretty much kiss off the
> entire press/pre-press and computer graphics markets -- those have all gone
> commodity/mass-market, and they can't make their kinds of profits they
> require on low-end commodity/mass-market software.

How exactly did Adobe shoot themselves in the foot with a "thermonuclear
device?" They have a monopoly on the printing industry, they have Flash
(enough said) and have a solid foothold in the video market with After
Effects. Yeah, they're not going any. And almost all their apps are
dual-platform.

> They're now chasing the interactive multimedia market through Flash,
> although I don't think they have yet found a way to make a profit in this
> market.

They sell the only app that produces Flash content. OK, it's not the
only way to produce Flash content, but it is the only one-stop-shop of
an app that will do it.

> Besides, no one talks about BMW dying because they don't own
> 99.99999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999% of the market.

You got that analogy wrong. Steve said that BMW only has about 10% of the market share in the auto industry and nobody talks about them going out of business (referring to Apple's 10% of the computer industry).

Hey, Apple will do what Steve wants. I cannot change it. Even Linus uses
one, albeit with linux instead of OSX. See we're back on topic.

~Nate