[SATLUG] Re: mobile devices with linux

pixelnate at gmail.com pixelnate at gmail.com
Tue Jul 29 22:48:52 CDT 2008

On Tue, 2008-07-29 at 17:36 -0500, Brad Knowles wrote:
> It's not the same boot process, it's not the same BIOS.  Which means it's
> completely and totally alien to 99.99999999999999999999999999999999999% of
> the market out there.

The chipset is the same. The BIOS is different. Those machines differ by > 1% . Close enough to be able to run OSX. EFI is not necessary to run OSX even though it is required to run their Mobos.

> For instance, plenty of laptops ship with Intel GMA graphics, and if you
> need more than Intel GMA graphics can give you, then you simply can't go
> with any of these laptops.

What I would like it a lappy with at least an 8800 GS or a Quadro GPU,
and 15" HD screen. Apple won't even sell me a 15" MBP with a high rez
screen. You have to go to 17" to get that.

> This might be something that Apple fixes in the next hardware refresh for
> the Mac Mini.  We'll see.

We'll see. The rumors I heard were that they were killing the line all
together. The dude over at Voodoo was talking about Intel coming out
with some sort of discreet uber-gpu that will start appearing in the
next year. So I'll wait and see.

~Nate