[SATLUG] Re: mobile devices with linux

KC kcoriginal at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 29 23:19:21 CDT 2008

--- On Tue, 7/29/08, Brad Knowles <brad at shub-internet.org> wrote:

> From: Brad Knowles <brad at shub-internet.org>
> Subject: Re: [SATLUG] Re: mobile devices with linux
> Date: Tuesday, July 29, 2008, 5:19 PM
> KC wrote:
>
> > Does anyone see a clear future leader of Linux mobile
> phone processor
> > platform?
>
> Neo and OpenMoko.
>
> >            I see Motorola being a top vendor
>
> No.  They don't want open hardware or open source.
> They want a free and
> endless bag of technology that they can continue to plunder
> forever, but
> only in ways where they can lock up everything they produce
> so tight that
> users can barely be allowed to press the keys.
>
> This is why they're a leading partner in the LinMo
> consortium.

Ummm, Brad, Dear...? I know that. I am trying to anticipate it. Or at least, I am fishing to see if many people have confidence in any particular vendors. But, I got, man... you won't hear me blowing off the conspiracies...

> >                                              and
> Verizon running a
> > scorched-Earth campaign to encourage open source
> mainly for the purposes
> > of weakening their enemies but much to our
> consumer-short-term-delight...
>
> No, Verizon doesn't want open source or open hardware
> any more than Motorola.

Yes, they do. So they can pre-empt the steam out of their opponents. So they can make us all Google-feel-good about them and jump on their bandwagon... hopefully stick a fork in Sprint PCS or the like... wait... only Sprint, Vz and AT-AT left, huh?!

> The biggest problem for most handset manufacturers is that
> each carrier
> extorts massive amounts of changes and work out of them, so
> that they can
> proprietarize everything going through their handsets, and
> lock all their
> stupid little
> ugly-bags-of-mostly-water-with-lots-of-money-and-no-brains
> into their own little private walled garden.
>
> They don't want to do *ANYTHING* that could potentially
> jeopardize that
> walled garden, and they will spend billions upon billions
> of dollars to
> violently assassinate any technology, company, or person
> who might
> jeopardize that cash cow business.

Yes I know they are... are you telling me you dont own a cell phone, Brad? Really? Of course they wanna destroy the marketplace this way. Unchecked capitalism is just as bad as unchecked communism, man. I been sayin' it for YEARS now!

> The handset vendors and the carriers are very much in bed
> with each other on
> this.
>
> Just ask Nokia how much work they have to put into each
> model that they sell
> through any carrier, in order to distinguish that model
> from all the
> otherwise identical models that they sell through all the
> other carriers.

I just wanna know, in the grand corrupted scheme of things, what exactly was the dirty deed the Scandinavian devils did to get into the worldwide cell-phone manufacturing club anyways!?

> The wildcard here is companies like Google that can take
> technology like
> Linux and apply it to a project like Android, and actually
> have some hope of
> continuing to survive the onslaught from the other handset
> manufacturers and
> carriers that have a vested interest in continuing their
> highly incestuous
> relationships, and keeping all those damn stupid users fat,
> dumb, happy, and
> pregnant in the kitchen.

Oh, dude! Damn Google. Dur. Said that back in 2003.
I prefer Verizon's approach with LiMo over Android.
I have a better chance of leeching off the move.
Complain about it all you want, it's not gonna change, so why not try to anticipate which way the wind will blow and get a head start in that direction?

> Of course, the real winner for the consumer would be if a
> non-aligned
> Linux-based project could actually survive, like the Neo
> 1973 and OpenMoko.
>
> But no one is going to allow that to happen.
>

>From the sounds of it... I hope they will. And those are the kinds of things I am into. Hey, look man, Linux survived despite the RedHat 3.0 days and Stallman vs the World and RedHat vs. DebIan and Gnome vs. KDE today and all the rest of the obstacles it has overcome. Why can't Linux hold out against the telecom industry, too? I think it (we) can fair just fine. That which does not kill the Penguin, only makes him, squawk, stronger!

> > but what's the processor gonna be?
> >
> > Intel Atom? Motorola? Freescale? Broadcom? TI? who?
>
> It doesn't matter.

Of course it matters, silly, I am considering getting friendly with some finer points of assembly in anticipation of pocket pc/phone devices...
I wanna know what platform to start digging into.

> > Anyone have any comforting insights on a direction
> they think is
> > established and gonna be a good platform to adopt?
>
> See above.
>
> The handset makers can't be trusted -- they're in
> bed with all the carriers.
>
> The carriers can't be trusted -- they're in bed
> with the handset makers.

Sounds raaather kinky.

> Google is the least trustworthy of any of them, because
> they are the ones
> who are holding onto all the private data of all the people
> in the world and
> refuse to anonymize that data, so that any company who
> wants to come along
> with a fishing expedition lawsuit can freely do so --
> witness Viacom.

No arguments here. Totally distrust the Google-saurus. Ever since I comprehended what advertising and marketing and inside conspiracies in the world of big biz means... about the time that Google came of age... I immediately made the connection predicting that they would become the next IBM -> Microsoft -> Google    <--- 800 lb gorilla!

> > Been teased since Windows CE years ago... now that I
> am fully onboard the
> > Linux wagon, I am still waiting for a solid platform
> to evolve in the
> > pocket-sized computing arena?
>
> Best one currently available is the HP hx4700 running
> Familiar.  All the
> hardware is pretty much completely supported, including
> built-in WiFi,
> Bluetooth, 640x480 screen, CompactFlash and SecureDigital
> card readers, etc....
>
> Best one with some potential of some sort of future is the
> Neo 1973 with
> OpenMoko.

OMG! In closing, he makes recommendations! Gotta go research them now! Thanks for the fun day... keep it real!