[SATLUG] Re: mobile devices with linux

Brad Knowles brad at shub-internet.org
Wed Jul 30 01:39:50 CDT 2008

On 7/29/08, pixelnate at gmail.com wrote:

>            They have a monopoly on the printing industry,

PageMaker is so far out of the business that it doesn't even make the
initial list of Adobe's own "products" menu.  You've got to hit the
link to "All products" before you can find it.  And if you go to the
InDesign page, they talk a lot more about all the various other
products Adobe wants to sell you than they do about InDesign itself.
If you go to their "Print Publishing" page, InDesign is even more
invisible there.

Where does this constitute a "monopoly on the printing industry"?

>                                                           they have Flash
>  (enough said) and have a solid foothold in the video market with After
>  Effects.

On the high end, Adobe can't compete with Avid.  Even Final Cut Pro
can't fully compare with Avid.  On the low end, Adobe can't compare
with iMovie, and there are plenty of players in the market that are
much better suited to take the "dead simple" crown away on Windows --
try Movie Maker, Roxio VideoWave, or any of dozens of others.  Oh,
and then there's NewTek to contend with.

And you casually dismiss Flash, but the fact of the matter is that no
one has figured out how to make any money with Flash, most especially
not Adobe.

>  They sell the only app that produces Flash content. OK, it's not the
>  only way to produce Flash content, but it is the only one-stop-shop of
>  an app that will do it.

Adobe doesn't have a clue about Flash.  They think they do, but the
real people who are doing real magic with Flash are groups like the
UT Austin iSchool, which has taken sixty-five interviews done by Mike
Wallace during his live TV program during the late fifties, they've
fully transcribed each interview, and then hyperlinked each sentence
to the segment in the video where that sentence is spoken.  The
transcriptions are also searchable, so you can find all interviews
that discussed a particular subject, like "sputnik".

See
<http://solstice.ischool.utexas.edu/tmwi/index.php/The_Mike_Wallace_Interview>.

And this is just one tiny part of the backlog of work that the
iSchool has.  They've got ten times as much material yet to be
transcribed, indexed, and fully cross-linked.  They use Flash because
neither Apple nor Microsoft gets the concept of integrating
interactive computer generated content along with and on top of the
media, but they are as much hampered by Flash as they are enabled by
its interactive capabilities.

Adobe doesn't have a clue.  They used to have a clue, but now they're
a massive conglomerate of crap that they've accumulated over the
years, they're unfocused, and more than half of their products should
just be canceled outright, so that they can afford to devote some
real time to making the other ones better.

>  Hey, Apple will do what Steve wants. I cannot change it. Even Linus uses
>  one, albeit with linux instead of OSX. See we're back on topic.

They do make the best Windows PC and Linux machine you can currently
buy for that amount of money.  PC Magazine said so.