[SATLUG] Re: mobile devices with linux

Brad Knowles brad at shub-internet.org
Wed Jul 30 01:48:25 CDT 2008

On 7/29/08, pixelnate at gmail.com wrote:

>  The chipset is the same. The BIOS is different. Those machines differ
>  by > 1%. Close enough to be able to run OSX. EFI is not necessary to
>  run OSX even though it is required to run their Mobos.

Perhaps there are a small number of people in this world who can
potentially make MacOS X run on non-Apple hardware, but the work is
non-trivial, and the only thing you achieve by doing this is you spur
Apple to continue to make it harder and harder for people to run
their OS on unspported hardware.

Do you really want to continue going down that slippery slope?

Other hardware vendors have el-cheapo cheapy-cheap-ass stuff that
they sell as a loss leader, in order to get you into the store were
the sales people will do the old bait-and-switch to try to get you to
buy something where they make a sliver of profit.  They throw in the
OS for free, because they have a contract with Microsoft that forces
them to throw in a copy of Windows with every box, and it's so cheap
per box that it's basically free.

Apple doesn't price their hardware that way.  They do have less
expensive hardware, but they don't sell anything at a loss.  They do
make less profit on the lower hardware, but the overall margins are
only somewhat reduced.  Since they have such a small portion of the
market, their goal is to get you on Apple hardware at all, not to
bait-and-switch you to more expensive hardware.

As such, Apple prices the OS pretty close to what it costs for them
to develop, distribute, and support it, and they build that cost into
every machine they ship (which is how you get a free copy of the OS
when you buy the hardware).

Now, if you take their OS and run it on loss-leader hardware that you
buy from someone else, how does Apple make a profit?  How do they
stay in business?

If you want to run loss-leader hardware, you're free to do that.  And
you've got lots of OS choices to run.  But MacOS X is not one of them.

>  What I would like it a lappy with at least an 8800 GS or a Quadro GPU,
>  and 15" HD screen. Apple won't even sell me a 15" MBP with a high rez
>  screen. You have to go to 17" to get that.

That's one of the prices you have to pay for deciding that the OS is
more important to you.  If you're not willing to pay that price, then
you should be shopping somewhere else -- and not wasting our time
with your griping and moaning.